In church here, there is usually a point where people are allowed to go up to the podium and give a testimony about something God has done for them. They often share a Bible verse or a song as well. Tonight that opportunity was offered, and one of the takers was an older gentleman whose name I don't even know.
It was apparent that this gentleman had a severe stroke at some point in his life. His left arm was tucked up against him, motionless. His smile drooped down on one side, and he limped when he walked. Tonight he shuffled up to the podium, took the microphone, and began to give thanks. His speech was very slurred, however, and often unintelligible (even to those who speak Spanish). After he finished talking, he began to sing. His halting voice stumbled over the words, a muffled mess of missed notes and wrong timing. It would make the average listener cover their ears. But it was not the sound of the song but the spirit of the singer that made it beautiful.
You see, this man was singing solely to glorify God. There was no money or fame at stake. In fact, there were only about 30 other people in the church to hear him at all. But he worshiped. And I don't claim to know how God thinks or what makes Him happy, but sometimes I take a guess. And tonight I guess that it pleased God's heart to hear that old man raise his voice--as faltering as it was--in worship. I think that gentleman in a tiny church in Mexico sounded better than a Hillsong concert in God's ears. And I do believe that a smile must have sneaked across His face as He watched His child, so physically broken, give Him thanks for Who He is. And God probably even cried a little. I know I did.
No comments:
Post a Comment