I've always been the kind of person who didn't really believe God's plan for me is specific. Like, at all. As long as I;m doing what we can to live a godly life (whatever that means), there will be a lot of choices I can make and still be happy. I've never believed that there is just one career or person or college or house that will make me happy or that is God's plan for my life. And I still don't, but I am beginning to think He might have a hand in things a little more than I thought.
Take this summer, for instance. Everyone keeps asking me how a girl from Kentucky heard about a small ministry in California that has outreaches in Mexico. I found out about Mexican Medical at a missions conference a friend recommended to me. The day before the conference, however, I got really sick and decided not to go. The morning of my good friend Jeanna and I decided to try it, and at the conference a picture of children with special needs caught my eye at one of the booths. I won't sugar coat it; I don't do well with special needs kids. I love kids, but it takes a special gift to work with disabled children, and that is one gift I do not have. But for some reason that photo drew me in, and I began to talk with one of the leaders of Mex Med. I received emails from the ministry, applied, and was accepted as an intern.
Looking back, I realize I'm here mostly because the trip was relatively inexpensive and not too far from the States. Both superficial, shallow reasons, but I cannot imagine missing this summer here. The people I have met and the relationships that have developed--this summer has already far exceeded any expectations I had before coming. And I have to admit, yes, I tried really hard and searched for a good mission trip. But I also realize some of this was out of my control. God really does know how to give good gifts, beyond what I could ask or even imagine. And that's awesome. Because having a lot of options freaks me out sometimes. I don't want to miss anything, and making the best choice is really important. But I'm slowly realizing that if I do what I can, God will do what He can. And His plans really are good. And that just makes everything alright.
No comments:
Post a Comment