Sunday, June 9, 2013

To hug, or not to hug?

That is the question, indeed. So church here is cool. I don't understand anything that's going on, but it's cool. And at the end of every service they have people who have had birthdays in the past week go up front. The band plays a birthday song, and everyone else (I mean everyone) lines up and gives the birthday people hugs. Cool, right? Except that I am now part of the everyone else who gives hugs. And I don't know these people. And does a grown man really want a white chick he's never met to hug him, even if it is his birthday?

Different cultures are awesome. I love being in a new place with new ways of doing things. And honestly, even though I'm not the touchiest person ever, I like the hugs and handshakes that always happen upon meeting in Mexico. I enjoy watching people interact with each other here. Tonight after church was over, one of the birthday men (a sizeable guy--I wouldn't mess with him) was sitting on the front row. His very elderly mother came up behind him and began rubbing his face and neck with her hands. It was so sweet to see this big man being tenderly caressed by his mama. And I pity the fool who would mess with the elderly lady, because she has sons who'd do anything for their mom. The love among family here is amazing. Cousins and nieces and in-laws and uncles--everyone sticks up for each other. They are so close, and I love it. I wish we had more of that in the States. I mean, who couldn't use a few dozen more family members in their corner?

Well, I still don't know what to do about the birthday hugs situation, but here's what I'll go with for now. I will hug ladies and children. With the men, if they initiate the hug, fine. If I have previously met them and hung out with them, I'll hug them. If I couldn't pick them out of a line-up, I'll leave it at a handshake. And if I offend anyone, hopefully they'll just write it off as a stupid gringo mistake. Because that's exactly what it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment