Tuesday, June 4, 2013

But the children!

Today marks a week that I have been away from home--that I have been somewhere in Mexico. Wow, it's been going pretty fast. And it's been challenging. Especially the language aspect (I'll post more about that later). And I often get very frustrated with myself, and when I get frustrated, I get angry, which makes me unhappy, which makes me sad, which makes me want to go home. So everyday (at least once) I have a little come-apart where I start packing my bags swearing I'm going to back to the States early. And then guess what happens. Kids. Kids happen.

So today my come-apart happened around lunch. I was sitting listening to adults speak in Spanish, trying to figure out a way to politely excuse myself so I could go to my room and sit in utter misery. Enter the children. When they came in, I gestured my way around asking them to help me make cookies. An hour and a heaping mess later, there were chocolate chip cookies, and the kids loved them. Then we moved outside, where I had two boys help me go over Spanish flashcards. It was so funny, because they were explaining the  meaning of the words in Spanish, so I didn't have a clue what was going on. I just kept nodding. Then I had them teach me some songs in Spanish (and we sang in opera-like voices because one boy here loves to sing like he's in an opera). To finish off, I asked one to teach me soccer. Which I now like very much. As he rode off on his bike he yelled, "Adios, Kayla!" and something about practicing Spanish tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it.

Then for supper tonight, the other missionary and I were joined by three kids, who were an absolute hoot. They know I can't understand Spanish and fully take advantage of that fact. One stood up on a chair and began guffawing, then asked, "Who am I?" I pointed to myself, and she died laughing. They're so cute I can't be mad, though. So they continued making fun of the way I laugh, how tall I am, and how much I eat. Quite theatrically, they acted out how rats run when they hear my footsteps because I'm so big. And they sat amazed as I ate yet another plate of pasta.

If not for these kids, I don't know how I would make it here. They turn my tears into laughter in a heartbeat. They truly are amazing, and I hope that by the end of the summer I'll know enough Spanish to be able to thank them in their language. Even if they do make fun of my laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment